Monday, January 25, 2010

Australian Open Men's Recap...

We've already provided you with some of the more important information relevant to this tennis tourney on the woman's side (and there will be a follow-up post on the women's bracket in a day or two), but this post will provide some more commentary on what has happened so far, as well as what I think will happen the rest of the way, in the men's draw.

On the men's side, save for a first round upset of #8 seed Robin Soderling, all top ten players advanced to the round of 16, with Andy Roddick (using some trademark profanity along the way), Andy Murray (the guy dumped by his model girlfriend for playing too many video games), and Rafael Nadal already earning a berth in the quarterfinals. Joining them is Marin Cilic, who in the process upset the U.S. Open Champion and #4 seed Juan Martin Del Potro. I was a little upset that Del Potro lost, but I'm glad that Nadal won, because I've started a count of how many times Nadal has been disrupted by enamored followers, and I'm always looking for opportunities to increase the number. Presently, I'm at two, after a woman disrupted play and asked to marry him during his second round match. And Nadal gets it from both genders, as his first suitor was a man who successfully kissed him at last year's US Open. Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic, among others, have yet to play or are currently playing, but as I gaze into my crystal ball, I see Federer getting past Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (a great name if I must say so myself) in the semis to play Nadal, who wins two tough matches against the Andys (Murray and then Roddick). Everyone loves a Federer-Nadal match, but I don't see this one being as epic as past matches between the two have been, and Federer wins the Australian Open in four sets because Nadal can't overcome the wear and tear of his previous two matches. You heard it here first.

No comments:

Post a Comment