Friday, November 6, 2009

Shutting Up for $30,000

Those who know me know that I get very excited when bad things happen to the Florida Gators. I threw a week long celebration in honor of Tebow's concussion and if I didn't have enough to celebrate already, I'd devote at least two days to Urban Meyer's $30,000 fine. Meyer has been fined by the SEC under a new policy to ban public criticism of officials.

The likely result of this policy is that Americans will be sheltered from facts, opinions, and complaints. Much like the foolishness of the ban on post-touchdown celebrations in the NFL, this sounds like a crappy idea to me. Mostly because I wholeheartedly believe that everyone, football official and civilian alike, should be able to accept some constructive criticism. Sometimes people really do need to get their head out of their ass and if it weren't for others pointing that out, we would have an even more underachieving humans.

While I think the policy is ridiculous, I am very happy Meyer got fined for breaking it.

No comments:

Post a Comment