Wednesday, July 8, 2009

... And The Second Part

O'Neil: Defining the shades of gray with recruiting

Posted using ShareThis

Listen, I don't want to sound like a pessimist or a jerk or traitor to my generation or whatever... but let's face it, the NCAA is living in a fantasy world! It is no joke that "Feral-cat herders have an easier job." So, riddle me this, isn't it time to save face and recognize defeat?

I'm a fighter. I'm stubborn and loud and I don't cede easily. Luckily, I'm usually right. But when is the NCAA going to realize that their rules may as well have a "wink wink" in the margin!? For starters, the rules only apply to participating institutions. They barely apply to student athletes. And they absolutely do not apply to agents, runners, professional athletes, or basically anyone.

I like to analogize the NCAA rules to me being stuck in a room of people who exclusively eat chocolate. Then being told I could never eat chocolate BUT I would never get caught because the only time someone would come to make sure I wasn't eating chocolate was once a month for 5 minutes during an announced visit. Ok, fine. To make it more realistic, let's suppose there are 15 other people in there that can't eat chocolate either and they want it as much as I do. Once I have fulfilled my non-cocoa eating responsibilities I get to drift down Wonka's chocolate river for the rest of my days. And then, as I drift down that river I blurt out in a blissful sugar/chocolate high that I have been indulging in chocolate for years. At this point there is absolutely nothing that can be done to punish me for my past chocolate consumption. On the contrary, the other 14 people in the torture room... well, let's just say thanks to my admission, they lost their ticket on the Wonka riverboat!


For the same reason that MLB players use steroids, players, coaches, and agents violate the NCAA rules. Everyone wants to get some chocolate! In fact, everyone wants as much chocolate as they can get. I am the only one that finds it ironic that an athletic association regulates competition so much? Coaches can't compete freely for athletes. Athletes can't compete freely for jobs. Agents can't compete freely for athletes. How does this make any sense except to maintain the NCAA's monopoly?! It's like an oppressive government that everyone continues to blindly follow!

I say it about steroids in MLB and I say it about the NCAA rules - everyone on some level (whether schools know it or not) is violating rules. Why do we continue to play by an illusionary rulebook? The status quo actually provides a disincentive for the NCAA to regulate violations of its rules because if all the teams that were actually in violation of the rules were sanctioned and suspended from competing in NCAA championships I'd venture a guess that they'd sever their voluntary membership and start their own association! So, again, I ask: Isn't it time to admit defeat?

No comments:

Post a Comment