Thursday, June 11, 2009

Urban Meyer and His Criminals

Meyer: Gators are 'good group' despite arrests

Posted using ShareThis
Although I suppose I should remain at least mildly unbiased (or maybe completely) when it comes to my sports writing, I simply hate the Florida Gators. In fact, my feelings are so strong I am personally boycotting Gatorade because of my unwavering disdain for anything related to the University of Florida. I really enjoyed Gatorade, particularly when my electrolytes were diminished after a night of drinking. I digress.

The fact that there have been 24 legal "incidents" in the past 4 years, or better stated, since Meyer took over as head coach tells me that Meyer is not at all interested in coaching his players in life's lessons. Colleges and Universities have started to implement criminal background check policies on student athletes specifically because they are involved in more campus crimes than other students, particularly sexual offenses. Furthermore, crime among professional athletes is growing. One researcher who studied arrests of NBA players found that those who attending college for 4 years were more likely to be arrested than those who were drafted out of high school. His reasoning: student athletes are led to believe that the rules don't apply to them.

Urban Meyer's attitude about his team's criminal activities clearly shows a blatant disregard for the future of his players beyond college. Meyer's comments suggest to me that he believes the rules don't really apply to his players, nor should they because they're a "good group." So, he willfully turns a blind eye when he should be looking out for his players best interests. For example...

No comments:

Post a Comment